My son-in-law (age 35 and currently a doctor doing his residency at Harvard) is from New Zealand and I am from Canada (age 69).We each tried to buy a bottle of wine from Wegman's Chestnut Hill on Good Friday.

We were carded. No problem. We each provided our respective government driver's licence and was told that is not sufficient ID. We drove home and retrieved our passports and returned to the same store.

Again, was told they could not sell to us. We asked to speak to the manager. He also adamantly refused the passport ID.

We were so flabbergasted that we asked him twice if he was stating that he could not or would not sell to any non US citizen and he confirmed that he indeed does not sell to non Americans.Is this not ridiculous?

suebont wrote the review because of poor customer service at Wegmans. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Wegmans to offer any options to resolve the issue.

The most disappointing in user's experience was their liquor sales policy. The author asks this business to immediately contact him/ her to briefly discuss his/ her negative experience with the company.

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Wegmans and wegmans manager for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Had an Experience with Wegmans?

Comments

Outrageous!Discriminating against people becuase of national origin is against the law.

Take a look at the Massachusetts Attorney General's website.

If I were you I would file a complaint with them.

Massachusetts, United States #971000

I work at Wegmans. At the store I work for, the ID policies are quite over the top, but I can't speak for other Wegmans. I am sorry this happened to you.

Santee, California, United States #969127

This sounds ludicrous. However, the fact that your son-in-law is a Harvard educated doctor is irrelevant.

to Honest *** #971713

Well, it does explain WHY he is living in Boston short-term (1 year) and why he doesn't have a Massachusetts or any other acceptable US government ID and it therefore prevented him from buying a bottle of wine.

Good nickname ;)

Leesburg, Virginia, United States #968881

I work for Wegmans and this is just ridiculous. As long as you have some form of ID, (passports count!) and are over the legal age, We do not discriminate on the nationality of our customers. I'm so sorry for your troubles.