1.6K views

Here is the latest insanity from Wegmans, a store we used to like. I was in the process of checking out.

I had handed her my credit card to pay. I had a case of Corona beer and the checker asked to see my ID. . They have a policy, that I have never seen anywhere else where they check the ID of EVERYONE buying booze.

Now, even forgetting that it has been decades since I was 21, I found it OK to go along and produce my ID that indeed proved that I was well over the age of 21. But now she asked to see the ID of my spouse was behind me who was not even part of the transaction. She refused on the basis that 1. she was not part of the transaction 2.

She objected because of privacy concerns and 3. because she thought such a request was perhaps even illegal to ask for the ID of someone with no rational need. Needless to say it took nearly 15 minutes to resolve with the line manager unable to break this new weird requirement and the store manager having to come down from his perch and finally after much argument, saying that he would make an exception. An exception?

If it is a "law" how can a store manager make an exception to break the law? Wegmans, no more for us! NJ law?

No mention of carding those with you who are shopping. What do you think?

Review about: Wegmans Manager.

Comments

Malvern, Pennsylvania, United States #1195286

Exact thing happened to me today at K of P Wegmans. Seems they also want to scan IDs and collect ur personal data too.

The same just happened to me. And the manager ended up "breaking" the policy for the one time. I will never buy beer from them again.

bigtombays

That's a load of ***! I work at wegmans and I sell booze to anyone.who gives a ***? If some kids want beer they will get it somehow so I might as well create some job security.

Wegmans embarrassed me at the register, asking for the ID of my two teenage children and creating a scene of discomfort all because I was purchasing some alcohol along with my groceries.

I am considering legal action.

Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States #871362

I was with my friend who is over 21. We were buying cupcakes and decided to get a bottle of mead.

I am under 21 and was just buying cupcakes. The checkout lady said that she needed to see both our IDs, even though I wasn't buying alcohol.

When I showed my ID she said that she couldn't sell my friend the mead because we came in together. What utter ***.

to KA1 Akron, New York, United States #1326805

That's actually state law that if you are with that party, same transaction or not, and under 21 a business cannot sell alcohol to anyone within your party with the exception of if you are with your parents.

to Anonymous #1408676

That's bs.. I can't take my kids to the grocery store if I'm buying beer.. there is no law

Bridgewater Township, New Jersey, United States #840554

The same incident occurred to me just today at and it was the first time i purchased a whopping 3 bottles of wine from them since it was on sale. They wanted to see my wife's id and she did not have her purse and id with her.

The cashier demanded to know our relationship when i thought for a minute I won a grand prize aboard the Costa Concordia. I advised them she was my wife and the cashier said ok i will make an exception this time but its a store policy.

I could understand this policy if young looking people came in and wanted to purchase alcohol but when an old man like myself comes in with his good looking wife and purchases $200.00 dollars worth of food and three cheap bottles of wine, does it look like I am trying to pull off some illegal act?

A store policy to prevent what? Minors are not dummies, they will learn the policy and circumvent it.

Who the *** came up with this pathetic policy, some low level manager trying to look good for his next promotion? I respect laws and good policies when they make sense but this policy just makes the store look like they are policing alcohol consumers when in reality they are doing absolute jack!

I plan to return to the store with a large bus load of volunteers who will pose as my family as we purchase one bottle of wine. It should take them a day to check the i.d..

Better yet, I propose they tighten up their policy and when someone approaches the cashier with a bottle of wine, they lock all doors and announce over the pa system that they need to see everyone's id in the store and ask the relationships of their customers.

I would like to see the cashier ask the relationship of a *** partnership. I bet some of them will not bother. I think it is intrusive and bears no reasoning for stopping under age drinking.

Wegmans should leave the business of law enforcement up to the police and just sell their products.

I called the store manager and told him my mind but he didn't give a ***, he's the guy who probably introduced the policy. They can keep their lousy 6 dollar a bottle wine, I ll go somewhere else.

to wegman alleged violator #1417919

They are just trying to follow the law. If they can be held accountable for selling to a party where there is any question as to who is going to consume the alcohol, then they have every right to cover their *** from legal action. The law is not their fault, but you blame them for following it.

Buffalo, New York, United States #766221

I think that it is ridiculous. Everyone is worried about buying booze for kids when it is generally parents who do such now-a-days.

The country is softer than Charmin and to avoid potential age discrimination law suits they more than likely implemented their own rule.

Would be nice for Wegmans to clarify.

Interesting that the word diputs (read it backwards) gets replaced with asterisks...

I stopped buying alcohol from Wegman's. I'm OK with being required to show ID.

I'm NOT OK when my personal information (birthdate) gets entered into their database.

(For the record, I stopped using pseudoephedrine when the law started requiring ID for it.) I think it's a *** policy that Wegman's record information for alcohol purchases, but it is their perogative. Just as it's mine to shop elsewhere.

We Wegmans cashiers must proof everyone. If we dont we can get written up.

It's store policy not law. Just calm the *** down!

to Anonymous Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States #871364

We're not complaining about you, we're complaining about the corporation you work for. We will do what we want.

to Anonymous #979385

Calm down??? Is it our fault that Danny only hires brain dead people who cannot use common sense.

Im 60 years old, I don't look ANYTHING close to being underage, yet Danny, in his overpriced wisdom thinks I should show ID..

Talk about ***..

to Anonymous #1417923

They have it set up into the system so an ID needs to be scanned in order to purchase alcohol. Just how it is.

Why do you think you should not have to follow the rules of the store to purchase an item that the government has placed an age restriction on. Even if you are well over the age requirement, you think that gives you the right to side step the protection the company has setup for it's self & their employs?

Rochester, New York, United States #665121

The same thing happened to me when I was shopping with my children for groceries. My oldest ,who was 15 at the time, has always looked older than she really is.

With about $200 worth of groceries and a 6 pack of Labatts I was asked for ID and willingly gave it to the cashier. She then asked my daughter for ID and of course she doesn't have proof of being 21. I tried to tell the cashier that she and the others were my children and she told me that it was impossible because I didn't look old enough to have a child her age....

seriously? After speaking with the manager and still being denied the sale I left and went elsewhere to get groceries and it was many years before I returned to Wegmans..

Prospect, Connecticut, United States #633013

Complaint is total ***. There are NO Wegman stores in CT.

That said, all grocery stores check ID regardless of age.

Most need to enter purchaser's date of birth. Get over yourself.

Get over yourself. As a former Wegmans cashier, I will say as a former Wegmans cashier, that we don't like askinh adults for id...

That's awkwsrd no matter how much we do it... Get over yourself, yoyr spouse is clearly paranoid, there is no privacy issuse involved in this process.

As it was already said there are signs clearly posted regarding need of proof of age. No cashier is going to read your id and bl ky rt out your personal information.