When this store first opened a few years ago I was so ecstatic to see the huge produce department! I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

I am vegan and most of my diet consists of fresh fruits and veggies. As time went on, though, I saw a decline. It seemed that Wegman's couldn't keep any produce department employees. As I went every week to do my produce shopping, I saw new faces about every other week.

Along with constant turnover came empty shelves. They just did not have enough employees to keep them stocked. Eventually I stopped going because it was so hit-or-miss if I would find what I came for. I went this past week just to see if things had gotten better, and I was heartbroken.

There was just one produce guy there, and the place had more empty display bins and shelves than full ones. It was the worst I had ever seen there. It looked like a big empty wasteland and was so sad & so heartbreaking. I will not be back ever again.

I cannot bear to see it anymore, it is so depressing. :-(

Product or Service Mentioned: Wegmans Produce Department.

I didn't like: Empty produce shelves.

Comments

Neptune City, New Jersey, United States #1345775

I feel your pain and it really is a shame. I also eat lots of fresh veggies and fruits.

The store in Ocean Township, NJ HAD a great produce department. but since 2009, the prices when up, but more importantly, the quality and selection went down. WAY DOWN. The size of the organic section has also shrunk.

Example being, about 2 days ago, I went to the store for THREE THINGS: Bottled water, avocados and loose red onions. I really went for the loose red onions but the ENTIRE BIN WAS EMPTY! (If the store wasn't in close proximity to the gym, I would never go there.) I bought two avocados. The ENTIRE BIN OF AVOCADOS WERE GREEN..

When I got them home, it took FIVE DAYS to ripen on the window sill which was very strange. The skin was STILL light green with black marks all over. And when I went to open them, they were brown inside. That about sums-up my experience with Wegman's Produce department since 2009.

I now shop at Shop Rite in West Long Branch, NJ.

Their organic produce department is small but it's always in stock and fresh.... all fresh Cal-Organic at Shop Rite.

Washington, District Of Columbia, United States #1214989

I agree...veg.2....they suck. ..their catering to the fried chicken ravens crowd lost me as a customer